San Diego, California
On November 4th and 5th, 70 Edgers (participants) will rappel down the Manchester Grand Hyatt to fund San Diego-based research/projects to end brain cancer. In it’s 4th year, Over the Edge for Brain Cancer (@OTE4BrainCancer) has raised over $700,000 for ABC² (Accelerate Brain Cancer Cure).
This two day event kicks off Friday (November 4th) with an impressive list of VIPs:
• Bryce Newman, brain cancer survivor
• John R Crawford, MD, Director of Pediatric Neuro-Oncology, UCSD School of Medicine
• Michael L Levy, MD, PhD, Chief of Neurological Surgery, Rady Children’s Hospital and Clinical Professor of Surgery, UCSD School of Medicine
• Susan Wilson, Development, Medical Science Liaison, Tocagen, Inc.
• Michael Cochran, Associate Director of Sales, Manchester Grand Hyatt
• Heather Orosco, Senior Physician Assistant, UCSD Health Systems
• Liz Bowen, Lifestyle/entertainment writer at Discover SD
• Michelle Dederko, editor of Discover SD
“Brain cancer is one of the most challenging and underfunded diseases,” said Max Wallace, CEO of ABC². “Sometimes it takes extreme measures to make extreme impact. Supporters of Over the Edge for Brain Cancer are real life superheroes with courage and determination to help save the lives of brain cancer patients.”
The fun continues on Saturday (November 5) with participants, including Coronado Councilman Richard Bailey who is running for Mayor of Coronado and Ian Urtnowski, owner/found of URT an apparel company. Spectators and supporters are invited to gather on the pool deck of the Manchester Grand Hyatt to cheer on participants.
Confirmed sponsors and partners for this year’s @OTE4BrainCancer include the Manchester Grand Hyatt, Encore Event Technologies, Mesa Rim, Stilson Greene Graphic Design, UC San Diego Health and Over the Edge.
Friday, November 4: 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
VIP/Media Day: Manchester Grand Hyatt, 1 Market Place, San Diego, CA 92101, Pool Deck
Saturday, November 5: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Main Event Day: Manchester Grand Hyatt, 1 Market Place, San Diego, CA 92101, Pool Deck
Media interested in covering either day are asked to contact Mindy Hoff, 703-772-5562 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Over the Edge for Brain Cancer is a unique and exciting opportunity in which participants or “edgers” rappel 365 ft down the Manchester Grand Hyatt. Edgers raise a minimum of $1500 to participate and have 30 days after the rappel to fundraise. All event proceeds benefit San Diego-based brain cancer research/projects.
Brain Cancer is:
• The leading cause of cancer deaths among children and young adults
• Extremely heterogeneous, with 120 different types of tumors, all of which have unknown causes
• Not as rare as you think. Today there are more than 600,000 people in the US living with a brain tumor diagnosis and another 66,000 new diagnosis are expected this year.
About ABC² (Accelerate Brain Cancer Cure)
ABC² is focused on speeding the discovery of a cure for brain cancer. By applying an aggressive, venture funding approach not typically seen in the nonprofit sector, ABC² closes the current gaps in funding in order to catalyze research and rapidly bring new therapies to patients. ABC² has awarded more than 100 grants totaling $20 million in brain tumor research funding to highly qualified investigators and physician-scientists from 54 institutions and companies. To learn more, visit www.abc2.org.